#96: Getting back to the basicsJan 28, 2021
FROM THIS SHOW…
Have you ever put furniture together and then all of a sudden you had to stop and start over? Living with a chronic mental disorder like bipolar can be a lot like that! We get well enough to make plans and get our hopes up, only to barely get going before the illness returns to smash our progress. Jobs are terminated. Marriages break apart. Finances suddenly become rocky.
When most people get to this place, it can force one of two directions: give up and live permanently disabled, or get back to the basics and pick up where you left off. On today’s episode of The Bipolar Now Podcast, the show’s tribe draws attention to the most critical basics that are never to be overlooked in living with this condition. Don’t miss it!
Listen to the podcast:
Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts! I don't want you to lose out on a single episode. Plus I release special bonus content from time to time that you'll likely miss if you're not subscribed. And if you're feeling generous, would you please leave me a review? It is a special treat to read each and every one of them. Just write about your favorite part of the show! :-)
- Sometimes what’s more important than medications for mental health is the ability to show compassion to yourself. This will ease your worries quite a lot!
- Being good to yourself means putting attention and effort into brain and body health. These have a direct impact to lessen the severity of bipolar disorders.
- Perhaps no other skill is more powerful than being a great communicator when you have bipolar disorder. Talk about your mental health to the trusted people in your life.
Lifer Discussion Guide
Use the questions in today’s Lifer Guide to assist you over any hurdles you may have to clear as you address your mental health. These are special conversations!
“Lifers” are people who have unwavering faithfulness. This assures you that they’ll stick by you through all the highs and lows that are normal for a life with mental health challenges. If you haven’t nominated a lifelong family member or friend as part of your non-medical support team, what are you waiting for? :-)
1) Which one of the basics in today’s show did you find most interesting?
2) How closely are you living by the basics of bipolar disorder? / Is there anything holding you back right now?
3) Which one the basics do you feel most interested in mastering? / How can I help you with doing that?
Join the Tribe!
Once you’ve had a chance to talk or journal about these things you might have a question from this episode. If so, make sure you head on over to The Bipolar Now Podcast Group on Facebook! There’s quite a few people who are also taking a new step in their mental health. And we’d love for you to share your story with us when you’re ready. So don’t miss out!