#76 Focus beyond the momentary chaosSep 03, 2020
FROM THIS SHOW…
How is it that some people can focus like a laser? Like, whatever it is they’re doing, they enjoy focused attention all the way through. How can some people power through life with focus, while others only have a fleeting experience of it? And why does focus fly out the window when you become mentally ill?
It turns out that focus is not magical. It is a skill. It’s something you can call upon command, once you’ve trained your senses. But is there something more that’s driving this coveted state of mind? Is there something that laser-focused people have an abundance of, that us ordinary folk can’t access?
In today’s episode of The Bipolar Now Podcast, Mike shares about the secret behind focused productivity and being alert for friends and family. It’s not something you can develop overnight. But if you line up to this hidden motivator, you’ll be full of natural and unfiltered FOCUS. Even with a mental illness thrown in.
Listen to the podcast:
Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts! I don't want you to miss a single episode. Plus I release special bonus content from time to time that you'll likely miss if you're not subscribed. And if you're feeling generous, would you please leave me a review? It is a special treat to read each and every one of them. Just write about your favorite part of the show! :-)
- It’s hard to remain focused when the whole world is literally in a state of “reaction” to daily events.
- Your ability to focus is severely impaired by symptoms of bipolar disorder. Having healthy dreams for your life when you’re well will give you something good to anchor to when you’re not.
- Document your dreams for the next decade. Focus on what’s possible when you go “all in”.
Lifer Discussion Guide
Use the questions in today’s Lifer Guide to help you out with any sticking points you may have toward getting help for your mental health.
“Lifers” are special people who have unwavering faithfulness. This assures you that they’ll stick around through all the highs and lows that are normal for a life with mental health challenges. If you haven’t nominated a lifelong family member or friend as part of your non-medical support team, what are you waiting for? :-)
1) How would you rate your skill level in being able to focus at will? / Great, or not so great?
2) What makes you say that? (Your skill level at being able to focus)
3) If we wanted to, what could we blame as having stolen your focus?
4) What’s one area of your life where you really want to develop focus? / What keeps you from doing that?
5) What did you think about the “10-10-1” (Ten Years, Ten Dreams, One Goal) that Mike talked about? / Is that something you could do for yourself?
Join the Tribe!
Once you’ve had a chance to talk or journal about these things you might have a question from this episode. If so, make sure you head on over to The Bipolar Now Podcast Group on Facebook! There’s quite a few people who are also taking a new step in their mental health. And we’d love for you to share your story with us when you’re ready. So don’t miss out!
Other ways to enjoy this episode