#68 When it’s sex on overdriveJul 09, 2020
FROM THIS SHOW…
Does it ever seem like your sex drive is revving to the stratosphere? Like you are a totally private person, and totally reserved. But sometimes you feel like you could have sex with anonymous beautiful people and unleash your inner adult film star?
If that’s the case, and you happen to have bipolar disorder, you have experienced what it’s like to feel “hyper sexual”. And this almost always leads to regrettable decisions. Hypersexuality is a condition usually associated with the manic phase of the illness, but it can also “pop up” without any help.
On today’s episode of The Bipolar Now Podcast, Mike takes a look at this well-documented but seldom-discussed symptom. And you’ll find compassion and forgiveness if you’ve ever taken the plunge into sexual activities that go beyond your standards or norms.
Listen to the podcast:
Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts! I don't want you to miss a single episode. Plus I release special bonus content from time to time that you'll likely miss if you're not subscribed. And if you're feeling generous, would you please leave me a review? It is a special treat to read each and every one of them. Just write about your favorite part of the show! :-)
- Hypersexuality is the most controversial, shameful, and mysterious symptom of bipolar disorder. About 50% of people with the disease experience this symptom.
- Women who have experienced this powerful sensation tend to be afflicted with more shame and guilt than males who’ve also pushed outside their sexual norm.
- Even if you get regularly pounded by waves of hyper sexual feelings, you can manage it through restoring normal sleep hours and live healthy, strong, and (yes) reasonably sexy.
Lifer Discussion Guide
Use the questions in today’s Lifer Guide to help you out with this private, confusing, and mysterious-but-common symptom of bipolar disorder.
“Lifers” are special people who have unwavering faithfulness. This assures you that they’ll stick around through all the highs and lows that are normal for a life with mental health challenges. If you haven’t nominated a lifelong family member or friend as part of your non-medical support team, what are you waiting for? :-)
1) Can you remember your earliest encounter with an overactive sex drive? / Do you think it was just natural hormones acting up, or an actual experience of bipolar disorder?
2) Is this a symptom of bipolar that you have to deal with a lot? / Does it seem to have any patterns in your life?
3) How does this symptom wreck your self image? / What does this do to your romantic relationship?
4) What is your plan to help you keep this overactive sex drive from taking you where you don’t want to go?
5) How much damage do you need to repair from your experience of hypersexuality? / Who can help you do that?
Join the Tribe!
Once you’ve had a chance to talk or journal about these things you might have a question from this episode. If so, make sure you head on over to The Bipolar Now Podcast Group on Facebook! There’s quite a few people who are dealing with this wild and dangerous side of sex. And we’d love for you to share your situation with us when you’re ready. So don’t miss out!
Other ways to enjoy this episode