#51 A slow formula for an amazing existenceMar 12, 2020
FROM THIS SHOW…
What would happen if you suddenly identified as dependable? What if you no longer took the option to be flaky, but you had a track record of showing up when and where you say you will? What if you could break away from the feeling like everything you build is destined to crumble?
If any of these things sound desirable, you’re going to find the formula for achieving them inside today’s episode. The Bipolar Now Podcast is a place to confront the parts of life that suffer a direct hit from this disorder. And it’s a place to find real world tactics for recovery.
But those tactics don’t pay off quickly. At least not usually. As Mike shares today, every recovery is an opportunity to rebuild your life at a natural speed. And that speed is a great deal slower than most people can handle. But your desires and your deepest dreams are worth the patient labor.
Listen to the podcast:
Click here to subscribe in iTunes! I don't want you to miss a single episode. Plus I release special bonus content from time to time that you'll likely miss if you're not subscribed. And if you're feeling generous, would you please leave me a review? It is a special treat to read each and every one of them. Just write about your favorite part of the show! :-)
- Having a bipolar disorder means you can do a great work in other’s lives, because you are naturally primed to be an emotional support figure. And people need this.
- Rebuilding your life in the wake of a serious mood episode requires you to address health in financial, mental, physical, and spiritual ways.
- The formula for an exciting existence is called “Active Patience”, and it requires having a gentle focus. The formula must be exercised habitually during the periods when you are well, so that you can continue to practice it when you get sick.
Lifer Discussion Guide
Use the questions in today’s Lifer Guide to help you uncover the parts of your life that need to be approached slowly. This is important for mental health because we live in a culture where everything is instant and on-demand.
“Lifers” are special people who have the kind of faithfulness that assures you they’re going to be there when called upon. If you haven’t nominated a Lifer as part of your non-medical support team, what are you waiting for? :-)
1) What’s something you waited a long time for when you were growing up?
2) What’s one major thing that you’ve been waiting on lately?
3) How do you interpret Mike’s formula for an amazing existence? / How should we practice “Active Patience” in a place where we want to experience growth?
Join the Tribe!
Once you’ve had a chance to talk or journal about these things you might have a question from this episode. If so make sure you head on over to The Bipolar Now Podcast Group on Facebook! We’re all looking for ways to go slow on the things that matter, and we’d love for you to practice with us. So don’t miss out!
Other ways to enjoy this episode